There has been a rise of poisoning in children biting into brightly colored liquid-gel laundry capsules. UK’s National Poisons Information Service survey found 1,486 poisoning cases between May 2009 and July 2012 which occurred mostly in children under the age of five. Ingesting liquid gel laundry capsule can burn children airway and cause breathing problems. The manufacturers of gel capsules have agreed to change their packaging to opaque boxes with child resistant openers and noticeable warnings. This problem is not limited to England since poison control centers in the US began receiving calls regarding this issue in 2012. How can we increase public awareness of this rising problem?
For more information, please click here.
Image courtesy of [Naypong] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net